The Danish SPF system
The Danish SPF system is the world's most comprehensive
health programme for pigs. It has been developed over the last 40
years by SPF-Danmark.
Today, 70% of Danish sows are housed in SPF production
herds, while 98% of the sows in DanBred nucleus and multiplier
herds are covered by the SPF system.
The SPF system has been developed and adapted with deep
respect for the preservation of safety.
SPF sets Danish standard
The SPF system has set the standard for all pig herds in
Denmark with respect to:
- protection against infection,
- which ensures that infectious disease is not introduced into
- health inspection,
- which ensures that disease is not spread via trade and
- declaration of health statusfor individual
- which allows pig buyers to plan their purchases to suit the
health status of their own herds
- tradein live pigs (breeding stock and
- in which every transaction is based on written agreements and
detailed terms which have been accepted by the parties. Transport
of pigs, which is performed in accordance with carefully defined
rules in specially designed vehicles which provide effective
protection against infection during transport.
Conditions for SPF status
To have his herd declared as being an SPF herd, the pig
producer must sign a written agreement with SPF-SuS. In the
agreement, he undertakes to follow "SPF Health Rules". These rules
specify requirements on:
- protection against infection
- receipt and delivery of pigs, distance to neighbouring
herds, visitors, deliveries of feed and litter, etc.
- health inspection
- daily inspection by personnel, monthly inspection by
external veterinaries, reporting of undesirable symptoms,
monthly/annual testing of blood samples
- purchase of pigs
- transport of pigs to herd
- in approved SPF vehicles which are owned by a carrier
approved by SPF-SuS.